View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 09:05 AM   #16
68Stepbed

Re: CPP front Coilover Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt40racing View Post
Great info. As a guy just building a street truck for occasion use. What would you recommend. I love seeing truck autocross but my objective is more of a shop truck, lowered with an LS setup. I am also learning a lot studying suspension geometry .... is this market a all or nothing situation?
In all honesty, something like the Ridetech StreetGrip setup or just a simple lowering kit would work great for just a shop truck/cruiser. If you wanted to step up your game, there's obviously the coilover conversion kits, which offer upgraded geometry built in, plus the coilover shocks are "tuneable" by either a single rebound, or double adjustable rebound/compression, plus the valving can be changed to offer better ride quality or for better performance on the track.

Of course, then there's the full bolt in suspension kits like TCI, NoLimit, Porterbuilt, etc. These can offer lots of advantages over simple swaps, and pretty much always include rack and pinion steering.

It just comes down to budget, goals, and preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedred View Post
Awesome explanation. Thank You.

I am not adverse to spending $$$$.
I bought a Flat Out Engineering crossmember and then sourced all the parts less the rack and pinion. All only to find out you have to raise the engine up, which will kill driveline angles. The other option is pushing the engine back into the firewall like Dustin Reed did with this suspension and his C10. While this works its not 100% ideal for me. Still not out of the question though.

Hunter Beacon's C10 runs the QA1 C10 Suspension. Met him at the Pro Touring Truck Shootout in Bowling Green. He was running in the T2 class and the truck was very impressive for a bolt on suspension. I did discuss some improvements he was planning.

I have seen RideTech on plenty of trucks. No doubt it works. I was leaning towards their front Coilover conversion and No limits Trailing arms rear suspension.

Your description of CPP hits the nail on the head. Maybe okay for a cruiser...
So Hunter is the only guy I personally know on the QA1 system and have seen his truck in action. I was also at the shootout, and at LS Fest. Hunter's truck does pretty well, and with some seat time and some other upgrades, he'll get faster. Wes Kohnen in the green stepside won the T2 class and he has the Ridetech coilover kit on his truck. his driving has improved dramatically over the past couple years. He was actually faster than me this year at both LS Fest, and PTTS.

I've struggled this season due to lack of seat time. Also, only being on 275 tires compared to so many on 315's and 335's kept me in the underdog position. That will be remedied in a few weeks. I just got 18x11 Rocket Attack wheels for my truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
While I agree w/the post in general, this is incorrect.

The CPP tubular arms do offer geometry improvements; it's just not in how the arms are 'built'. Their geometry improvement appears to be obtained the same way you would get it from stock lower control arms.... By shifting it forward.

When I looked @ their install info, I could see the distance variation (fore/aft) of the control arm shaft vs the x-member in images. So there is a benefit of additional Caster but it's nothing one couldn't get w/their stock arms as well.
I didn't know they offered the caster mod built in, but that's only a small portion of the geometry correction needed. Also, like you said, that can be done with stock control arms, so it's not that much of an advantage.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote