View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #115
Bruce88

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

Some want it with nuts and some don’t
If I remember correctly this was a commercial for a candy bar but could also apply to this installation.

Positioned the head liner in the cab and drilled all the mounting holes. This head liner is where the four radio speakers and CB will be installed. In the picture below the head liner is shown being temporarily held in place with cleckos.

Next the head liner will come down and all the mounting holes will be drilled up to the size for rivet nuts. All the rivet nuts will be installed after stripping and painting.

A lot of people would install this panel with sheet metal screws, I prefer to use rivet nuts and machine screws. For those of you that might not know what a rivet nut is I’ve included some pictures of the installation tool and steps to install one.

Rivet nuts come in many sizes and threads as well a steel and aluminum. I use steel ones when installing them in steel panels and for this installation will be using a 10-32 rivet nut. The rivet nut is kind of like a pop rivets but puts a nut on the back side of a blind fastener hole, a special tool is required for installation.

Name:  Head-liner.jpg
Views: 11918
Size:  91.0 KB

Some times there’s more than one way to do a installation and I like having options. There’s plenty out there for you to chouse from, in joy your build.