View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 12:27 AM   #6
Livemeyer

Re: Steering column - I don't know what I'm doing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by e015475 View Post
Do I need a rag joint

I wouldn't. Use universal joints instead.

What's my steering shaft size?

Measure it. A set of HF digital calipers is less than $15. In a pinch you can wrap a piece of paper around it and measure the circumference with a ruler and divide by 3.1459

Isn't the steering shaft hardened steel?

Probably not

If I need to cut it, how do I do that?

I'd use a cut off wheel in a 4" angle grinder

Does the mast jacket housing end cover come off of the mast jacket?

The shaft got in there so it has to come out. If you are going to use the factory box, suggest you reference the factory manual on how to disassemble the steering box..

To connect the new column to the factory box, I'd suggest that you cut the factory steering shaft and cut it to a double D. To do this, clamp the factory shaft in a vice and grind the double D with a angle grinder, stopping often to check fit. Do the last bit with a file to get a near perfect fit. I've welded universal joints to factory shafts, but it is always a risky proposition with heat on the bearings.

This place sells top quality universal joints and steering shafts-

https://sweetmfg.biz/home.php

Their components are not cheap, but quality if first rate. You can buy chinese versions cheaper. Your choice and your life.
OK, yes, factory original steering box. Eventually I will upgrade to IFS and power steering so just wanted to do this part with the original box for now. I have concern about disassembling the box, it is almost 70 years old, if I disassemble it and it needs rebuilding then I'm really hurting in that I don't want to spend the money for that when I will eventually upgrade anyway. I'm way overdue for buying a digital caliper, guess I will make that a priority, however it's the stock column it should be a standard size shouldn't someone just know what it is? So I have the angle grinder and 4" cutoff wheel, but you're proposing I remove the shaft so I can cut it. What happens then with the mast jacket and the housing end? I picture this open tube... with a shaft coming out of the middle of it... can't be right, dust dirt moisture would get in there. Maybe i'm not seeing something right. But I do see your vision of cutting and grinding down the sides of the steering shaft to make a double D. I could see doing this if I just want to straight-up mate the steering shaft to the end of the new column, but this doesn't seem safe to me, I think I'd feel better about mating the steering column to a U-joint and the using a 6" steering shaft (https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...OrderCalculate) between the two u-joints. I guess I'd need some sort of U-joint on the steering column end just gotta figure out what.

And FYI I do have the manual, which was my first go-to after I removed the housing end and didn't see what I liked. I stopped short when I saw that I was going to need some specialized tools to completely remove the steering box. I mean, I was after replacing the steering column not a complete front end steering and suspension rebuild.

Maybe I can cut and remove the mast column first, take some measurements and cut the shaft while it's still mounted? Maybe I stuff something inside the bottom of the mast column so debris doesn't fall into the box while cutting?

I will have a look at your link for parts and ideas, thank you for a great response, very helpful.
Livemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote