View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
Rust-O-Matic

Re: Budget Upgrade/Build on a 1966 C10 $900 budget

I don't wanna sound like a negative Nancy, but this is a pretty ambitious list considering your budget. I know the feeling though, my budget is typically closer to $0 haha. Here's my 2 cents:

1. Gaskets, waterpump, and tune-up are cheap and easy, and worthwhile investments in my opinion. However, a new 4bbl manifold and carb are in the neighborhood of $600. That's enough money to buy 3 junkyard 350 V8's here in Missouri. Then you will need a $300 set of headers, dual exhaust, and a lumpier cam to actually make use of it.

2. Automatic trannies have a ton of parts inside them, and usually require special tools and specific knowledge I do not possess to rebuild. Unless you are a pro (and maybe you are, I'm not trying to question your skill level or intelligence) this is usually best left to the pros. For a 6 cylinder driver, a 200r4 or 700r4 either one would probably be just fine, and a decent junkyard unit with new clean fluid in it would probably last for years as-is.

3. Sounds pretty straightforward. You may find that boneyard brake parts aren't in the best of shape though, and may want to figure in the cost of new rotors, calipers, etc.

4. Rewiring an entire truck correctly will likely eat half of your budget or more. You can hack something together with $20 worth of wire and house wire nuts (like the previous owner of my truck did), but in the long run you get what you pay for. If the whole truck burns to the ground on the freeway, you didn't really save much. I would look at pre-made kits, or replace a portion of the original harnesses one at a time.

5. Not sure what's up with the windows. Sounds like maybe the bottom channel piece that holds the glass rusted out or something. Wouldn't cost anything to take the door panels off and check em out.

5.b. There is much debate on tank location, but in my opinion the cab is the safest place in the vehicle, and as long as the original isn't leaking or spewing fumes inside, there's no reason to spend unnecessary money relocating it.

6. Power steering should be easy if you can find the brackets to mount the pump to your 6 cylinder. The rest of it is just getting an adapter plate from someone like CaptainFab, modifying the steering shaft, and bolting up a newer style gearbox, etc.

Not trying to discourage you with any of this stuff. Just saying if it were mine I'd focus on replacing the stuff that doesn't work for now, and make it reliable. Then I'd start saving for upgrades once it's on the road.
Rust-O-Matic is offline   Reply With Quote