View Single Post
Old 08-09-2021, 05:18 PM   #787
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Is been a while since the last time I posted. I have done a lot of running around and there is no end in sight. I have decided on a body shop for the work. The owner has already agreed to allow me in on Saturdays when his workers are gone to work on the WMB. Big plus! Now just waiting for my slot.
I other related news I was grumbling about my turn signal switch cams going bad as it has become difficult to get the signal to operate smoothly and stay on. I finally realized the problem was because the steering wheel was no longer straight up when the truck was driving straight. I took it to my friends at Trackside Motorsports (A-N-T tire) to get the alignment checked. And the results showed the rear end is no longer straight. With the driver's side is toed out and the passenger side is toed in. So I'm crab walking down the road these days. (Photo #1 is from the alignment last November and photo #2 is the latest one) Not the best numbers for tire life and fuel efficiency.
While on the rack we noticed what appears to be oil seeping from where the axle tube goes into the carrier housing and from one of the axle tube plug welds on the left side.
I have not had any luck finding any place who wants to or can repair the axle. But some shops have by yet to return my call.
The truck was converted to 5 lugs when I bought it but I wasn't sure how it was done. I called Mel at ClassicBowtie about a replacement rear end. He told me he has an early rear end but not a 71/72 rear. So armed with the axle width dimensions he gave me, I jacked the truck up and measured hoping to find an early axle. But alas I'm not that lucky. The axle flange face to face measured 63 3/8". Close enough to 63 1/2" to ID the housing as a 71/72. ( Photo #3 & 4) (An early axle would have measured 62")
I clamped some straight square stock to the flanges and measured inside edge to inside edge to determine the length. The 1/8" difference may be due to the aftermarket axle on the left side.
The real rub on this is how the insurance company is going to respond. I don't doubt they will accept replacing the axle, but will I have to pay for rebuilding it? I had the current rear end completely gone through several years back. Fortunately I have an aftermarket long track bar so I could use a later axle and have the mounting pads changed.
So the negotiations to began. Fortunately I have good documentation with receipts and this forum.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote