View Single Post
Old 09-16-2022, 07:43 AM   #22
68 C10 Driver

Re: Shops that repair old trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev-O View Post
Trying to find somebody to paint my truck for a fair price is impossible in my town. All the shops around here want $20k to paint , not including body work. One shop actually told me he makes $1500 (profit) just color matching a replacement fender or bumper on an insurance claim so that is all he does.

Classics are a rich guys game. I’m not rich so I do everything myself. Taught myself to weld. Looks like I will be learning to paint.

Built not bought is more respectable anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's why I learned to do all the work myself. Back in the late 70s and early 80s as a poor airman in the Air Force, I didn't have the money to have body and paint work done. Even with the Earl Scheib $99 special, it was too rich for me, so I started to do it myself. Sure, I sucked at it at first, but I improved quickly and got to be pretty good at it.

I also learned the mechanical aspect as well, to me that was easier and a fun way to relax. Later, I decided I wasn't going to pay the cost of A/C work, and started picking up equipment on eBay back about 15 years ago when things were still cheap. Same with welding, two years ago I never welded, but perseverance and many hours of practice I have repaired the common rust areas on my C10.

I guess the moral of the story is we all have the capacity to learn and apply that knowledge. It may take time to get the practical application down, but you'll get there.
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote