View Single Post
Old 09-20-2022, 09:45 PM   #25
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Shops that repair old trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Thanks guys for the kind word about losing dad, but let us ponder for a minute, most of the guys that are young and limber enough to work on cars for a living are born after the last carb equipped car or truck was built in the late 80's. That is when I started in my shop I am trained as a diesel tech along with auto mechanics. After getting trapped under a MACK truck changing a clutch[ For those that dont know and why would you the trans are like V shaped] the trans just kinda gently laid over against the frame rail pinning both my arms between the frame and the trans. Now I'm a big ol' boy corn feed but a 700 lb. tranny holding both my arms made me stay still. I was alone until my brother came by to visit he got me out. Then after that I couldnt stand the smell of diesel fuel on me so that was the end of me working on diesels and start of me building wrecks witch leads me to my next point, about anyone can paint. PREP is key it is called bodywork for a reason not bodyfun. About the time the average person thinks they have sanded enough on a whatever you like several hours of prep left. And if you need help about painting, I'd be glad to answer and questions you may have I have done that a bunch over the years on here. Jim
You are lucky to be alive! I used to work on anything that came into the shop (my b-i-l owned it), from kitchen chairs to semi tractors. We worked on a lot of farm tractors, as well. We got a 4020 John Deere in with a spun rod bearing at harvest time. We fixed it and got it running at about 2 AM and the farmer came and picked it up. The doors to the shop were closed (Idaho, but we should have opened them first, not that cold, yet) and the place filled with exhaust smoke. To this day I can't stand diesel exhaust, and will never ever own a diesel vehicle. We probably should have died that day.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote