View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 03:09 PM   #5
weim55

Re: Engine Blew, recommendations?

I've done a few of the Vortec cam roller motors in early trucks over the years. It is an upgrade and stock for stock it does have slightly more power. That said I would pass on the Vortec motor and stay with the early design, here's why:

Having to run an electric fuel pump has it's problems, noise, poor quality pumps that don't last, labor costs to configure and install. To do an electric pump correctly to absolve the above issues requires an in tank pump with a proper regulator and return line system. All labor and $$$........

If you have AC the brackets on the intake manifold won't work on the vortec, you'll have cut and fabricate to make 'em work.

As mentioned in another post, you’ll have to purchase an intake manifold as the early style will not fit vortec heads. In addition to that you will almost certainly run into some type of issues with carburetor/linkage that will require some kind of modification. If you’re going to retain the original Quadra jet carburetor there are no automatic choke provisions to match your original intake with any aftermarket Vortec intake manifold.

Exhaust ports are slightly higher on the vortec heads and sometimes the exhaust headpipes will have fitament issues.

Flywheels are different too, you will need one for a one piece rear main 350 (Vortec).

The bottom line is while the vortec is damn near a bolt in it does have enough differences to create issues to overcome with time and $$. Not a good thing if you are paying a shop to do the work. In your case I would keep it simple and keep it stock.......

Steve weim55 Colorado

Last edited by weim55; 10-22-2019 at 01:00 PM.
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote