View Single Post
Old 08-17-2022, 06:01 PM   #31
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: A header question with a twist

I looked at the Jet Hot brochure and was impressed, but didn't have the long cash to make that happen. I found a product in the Eastman catalog that was an airbrush-on, bake-it-yourself ceramic coating. It was pretty reasonable.
I shot the stuff inside and out. When my Mom upgraded to a ceramic-top kitchen stove, I saved the old [but still perfectly good] Hotpoint. Rigging a temporary 220 outlet in the backyard, I baked my Heddman 69230 Hedders at 500* F for 2 hours. [IIRC.] I think Black was the only available color then.
The Hedders came out pretty nice.

Then I made a fatal error and decided to put DEI header wrap all over the Hedders. I was unaware that doing so voided my Heddman warranty. Advantages were: an almost Cadillac-like hush to motor noise; lower underhood temps; and a NASCAR-cool look.
I assumed that shooting the coating on both inside and out, and that Arizona's notorious lack of humidity would allow the ''mummy-wrapped'' Hedders to function indefinitely.
I was mistaken.
Nature took 7 years to finally blow out my mummy-wrapped headers, but it did.
The hassle of putting on replacement #69230 headers was compounded by Heddman's use of the same P/N for fitment on a '68-'72 SBC in a K/1500 frame w/Manual [Z-bar/Clutch] on a new generation of header style with ball/socket collectors -- so my original 3-bolt flat 3'' gasket collectors had to be sawed off and ball sockets welded on by Midas guys at shop rates.

The new headers, I have not coated yet. I put them on with the factory paint to let it burn off.

On the L6 292 in my '68 C/10 Stepside, I put a set of Clifford ''Viper'' 3-into-2 headers in 1978. I painted them with VHT. They ran on that motor for 25 years. I rebuilt another 292 and was back on the road in 2005. My machinist hot tanked and bead blasted the Clifford headers. He said they were fine. I repainted them with VHT and they're still good and running on my current 292.
Attached Images

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 08-17-2022 at 10:50 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote