View Single Post
Old 11-26-2021, 06:25 PM   #725
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

After all the work I did to weld in the high flow cats, I was finally ready to install them. When I got everything in place, the flanges at the front of the mufflers where the v-band clamps fit had about a 1/8" gap on both sides. There was no way the band would draw the flanges together enough to seal up. It seemed the only solution was to remove both sides and lengthen the tubing the amount I needed. However, after I pulled the assembly off the passenger side and started to remove the driver side, I could tell that without being attached via the H-pipe, it fit perfectly. I lightly tightened the muffler clamp and the exhaust manifold flange bolts with no issues.

So, I carefully reassembled the passenger side and found that back to the H-pipe, it was right on the money. From the H-pipe to the muffler was a different story. I had a bit over 1/4" gap now. It appeared that the muffler on the passenger side had moved back after I originally disassembled the tubing. I knew I'd scribed marks on the tubing to make sure the cats didn't alter the overall length. The good news was that I only needed to modify one side. I cut a 3/4" section out of the tubing between the H-pipe and the muffler flange and replaced it with a 1" section. Fits fine now.

The fan assembly is finished and the radiator + a/c condenser and lines are back in. The Terminator X Max is mounted under the dash and the wiring is nearly complete. I'm about ready to set it back down on all fours again. By the first of next week, it should have the intake on and hopefully in the not-too-distant future will be ready to fire up.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote