View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 09:21 PM   #7
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Power steering on a 68 4x4 burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern parts View Post
i will probably end up going that way too
Good choice. Don't let some know-it-alls who only have a 2WD tell you "all you need to do is dimple the mounting holes in the frame.'' C trucks and K trucks are different animals.
The '67-'68 Power Assisted Steering used hydraulic booaters over a manual system. Used for a long time after on Corvettes because of limited space.
But because it's Corvette-related the prices on that gear are astronomical.

GM used the same Dana 44 front differential with P/S and Power Disc Brakes well into the '80s, I think. So you're not just hunting for Early Blazers. Any K/10 truck will work, in the right era.

The other option is to "Man Up'' and get used to Armstrong Steering.
Keep the stock GM wheel. You won't get any leverage with a tiny Grant wheel [and I've had them come loose in my hands -- in traffic].
I wrapped my steering wheel in foam pipe insulation [3/4'' ID] (once called "Donkey D!ck'') and wrapped it in black friction tape. After a week the black stopped coming off my hands, but I could really slap that wheel around a turn without bruising my metacarpals.
After all the "Greatest Generation" didn't have any sissy Power Steering when they won WW II driving Deuce-and-a-Half GMC trucks. That's 2-1/2 times bigger than a K/10. And no one is shooting at you.
Good hunting.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote