Thread: 55.2-59 Hood wont close
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #27
dsraven

Re: Hood wont close

yup, I'm with you on that one martinsr. loosen the fasteners so stuff can move a bit and then just try lifting the front under the rad support slowly as you check the gaps, fitment and body line. i might leave the top rear bolt alone and use it as a pivot point so the sheet metal doesn't slide back and bottom on the door. then slip a few shims under the rad support and set it down on the mounts again as you recheck fitment. you may have to do this a few times to get things right, depending on the squish factor of the rad support mounting rubber. I would also say the door could possibly be moved back just a touch at the bottom edge. on my 57 the door lower edge is pretty much even with the front of the rocker panel. that is not much of a guide though considering most rocker panels get replaced at some point in the truck's life. still, fit the doors before fitting the front sheet metal and after leveling the cab with the main plane of the frame (I know now, frame swap. me too. mines an envoy chassis. sorry I didn't pick up on that in my previos post).,
the door to fender gap can be deceiving because the doors are not all the same contour, even original doors. same for the curve on an original fender. i have a couple of sets of each and none are the same contour on that edge. it is why guys who want perfect gaps add weld to the edges to make a gap smaller or trim the edges off and reweld the edges at the seams of their cuts. the aftermarket stuff will likely need some work but it's whats available for new stuff and we mostly all know it ain't gonna fit very good.
keep posting pics as you work your way through.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote