View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #113
Bruce88

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

Breaking News – Older trucks have rust (LOL)
Or maybe it should be a question – do I have more or less rust in my panels than you?
Sometimes a question not stated but thought when acquiring used panels for your build.

I did make a mistake. No, not cutting the panels back to inspect for all the rust before having the patch panels in hand to prevent cutting to much metal away (more than the patch panel will cover). All metal removed would have to be replaced regardless, I did have the patch panels in mind, not to cut more than was absolutely necessary (more cutting and fitting will be needed to install the patch panels)

The mistake was placing the order for the patch panels before seeing what I really needed. I had to add items to my order. The previous failed repair was done very stealthy, the rear cab support was filled with foam and the holes thru it was covered over with undercoating. It’s a good thing that I found this before going to pickup the panels and not finding this in the middle of replacing the panels. I always prefer to have all the parts needed on hand before starting plus just having one order for parts is preferred by me and I think by the supplier as well.

Both sides of the cab’s rocker panel areas are just about the same in the repairs that will be required. This being said I would say this cab is still in a lot better shape than the cab on the truck from the floor up. It will be nice not having to be concerned about where to put my feet on the cab floor or watching the ground pass by thru the floor when driving (HA HA)

Name:  Rusted-Rocker.jpg
Views: 11925
Size:  94.3 KB

There’s plenty to keep me busy until the panels come in and updates should continue fairly uninterrupted. May your build have less rust than mine.