View Single Post
Old 10-21-2021, 11:28 AM   #6
Big Kev-O

Re: a lost kid and his devious six

Start by replacing that Fusible Link as 68OrangeSunshine suggested. You need a 16 gauge fusible link. I understand doing what you need to do to get your truck home but driving it around with out a Fusible Link puts you and your truck at risk. Fusible links are sacrificial and designed to burn up without catching on fire. Ordinary wire can & will flame up. I recommend keeping a fire extinguisher in the truck especially if you are going to drive it around without getting all the wiring sorted out.

After you replace the fusible link get you charging system working properly. The points in you distributor won't last long if they receive too much voltage which is why they are powered by a "resistance" wire. HO455's advice is always spot on.

The day I bought my truck one of the wire under the dash caught fire on my drive home. The first thing I purchased was a aftermarket wiring harness. I got one of the cheaper $200 kits that was not exactly easy to install but I figured it out with help from this forum.