View Single Post
Old 02-10-2024, 12:08 AM   #432
VWNate1

Talking The Parts Biz

I too could fill pages with stories :

Customer : I need spark plugs for my Chebby mon

Me : 'What kinda Chebby do you have ?'..

Customer : Uh, a RED one mon.....

And so forth .

The flip side is when you know what you want but the counter guy can only go by the computer that doesn't seem to have a 1928 Ford in it......

I was out doing a multi day back roads tour with some rich fellas (Iron Bottom No Frills Motoring Tour) when my buddy's 1939 Lagonda (I know, right ?) fouled the spark plugs and they didn't know what to do .

Eventually I rattled up in my old jalopy and when I hear them talking I asked to look at the oily plug and said 'oh, you need a BOSCH W8A or equivalent' .

They stared at me so we loaded into my jalopy and wheezed over to O'Rielly's, the kid asked 'model make and year ?' .

I said 'trust me kid your computer doesn't have this car listed and we went 'round a few minutes until i said 'I need 8 spark plugs for a 1972 VW Beetle with 1.6 Liter engine, once you get to the correct page scroll way down and you'll see the basic BOSCH or NGK copper cored ones, that what I want ' .

He comes back with a package of four........

"I asked you for 8"

'But Sir, the computer says it only needs four......'

Me : I need spares, okay ? .

Done and done and my knowledge is in fact pretty narrow, I know there are multiple water pumps for small block Chevies, some even turn reverse but that's all I know about them .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote