View Single Post
Old 06-10-2021, 01:28 PM   #8
Dexterb

Re: Blue Two Tone 1990 Suburban Build

Didn't get around to pulling the rear diff last night. I tried to remove the U-Bolts with Rachet/Socket, but it was being a prick so I just soaked them in PB Blaster. I have an impact, but the kids were sleeping and wasn't about to risk waking them up by making a bunch of noise in the garage.

I picked up a C-Notch from Tin Works Fabrication. Super fast shipping, friendly service and it arrived with some stickers and a bag of candy which was fun.

Unfortunately it didn't come with a template so I took it to work with me today and made one here. I read the instructions from Bell Tech and they recommend drilling a 1/4" hole first in each corner of where the cuts will intersect to prevent stress cracks so I will follow this advice.

Also, coming from a 4x4 background where I went from running, 3/4 ton, to 1 ton stuff, and then to 2.5 ton and then watching friends go to 4 Ton diffs and bigger transfer cases, heims etc, because stuff kept breaking, it has become second nature to want beefier components, so once the suburban is together I will take it to a guy I know who has a fab shop and get him to box the frame in on the back side to add some extra strength.

Here is a link to the C-notch if you are interested.
https://tinworksfabrication.com/prod...body-suburban/

-Dexter
Dexterb is offline   Reply With Quote