View Single Post
Old 09-09-2021, 05:39 PM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Question about wood bed stain and sealer for my 1987

I have a step side too, and from my little knowledge of wood species. My conclusion it is some type of pine. As the few pieces I got from my factory bed floor appear to be that.

On my truck which needs a bed wood like fat kids love cake. I am looking at 2 major options. First one being Trex decking or similar as a install, and forget option. The second is to use appaton or similar wood which I pretty damn HD when it comes to stuff, but would still need periodic attention.

My plan is to weld the bed togather so it is removable like new trucks with 4 bolts from underneath, and adding more center support for heavier items. So when finished the top is just smooth wood.

My personal guess would be any stain in the color you want is going to be fine. After that you will need to roll or spray on UV rated polyurathane sealer. Sanding inperfecrions between coats, and building up a thick coating.

How thick I don't know as I am not into finished wood items as a hobby. Though I probably would go to a premium paint store where real finish carpenters go, and not be afraid to drop some cash.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote