View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 11:43 PM   #5
chevy71super

Re: Longggggg Road trip tips. What is the farthest you’ve gone?

The furthest I drove my 71 and 72 is about 1,250 miles over two days. On one trip the water pump failed on the 72 in Central California on I5. On that trip luck would have it my wife was following me in her car. We located a new one nearby and I replaced it on the highway exit. A thousand cars probably went by, one guy pulling a boat stopped to ask if I needed help. (Him and a CHP who ran my plates ....)

We drove the 71 from Portland to So Cal, about 1,000 miles towing my CJ5. The truck developed a misfire and mileage was very poor. (Even worse than normal if that is possible.) Turns out a spark plug wire came loose. Snapped it back on and it ran like a champ the rest of the way.

Sounds like you have everything covered. Be aware of where you park, rest when tired and give yourself plenty of buffer between gas stops. If you don’t have roadside assistance I suggest getting it. Check with your insurance carrier. Also double check your spare. Ask me how I know that is important step on a long trip.

Have fun!!! Doug
chevy71super is offline   Reply With Quote