View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #22
98layinframe

Re: Current S10 build project 350 swap and 4" bodydrop

again copying some more updates from my S10 forum thread about what Ive been up to lately.

well tiny bit of good news.. got my "hubs" turned down for the 12" LS1 front brake setup I'm making and the long studs pressed in. All that's left is cut up the spindles and make the adapter bracket.

bad news is I'm still not sure what to do about the front suspension and untucking the tires enough. After sitting, staring and changing a few things around tonight, while the physical arms will lay the truck out on stock spindles, the main problem is having enough room for the bag......... there is basically Zero! :doh: If i ran a 1" tall upper cup id be fine, but thats pretty insane.

Waaaayyyy off topic but kinda fun little deal, picked up a beach cruiser bike for 12 bucks the other weekend, and since i cant leave anything alone.... I had to modify it. Only had maybe 50 lbs of gas left in my welding bottle, so instead of worrying about it running out while working on the truck, I pissed around with this thing instead.

Started out.

and then started cutting and rearranging..

front half of the frame all welded up.

cut up and widened a set of front forks from an old mountain bike frame

partly done. still needed to lengthen forks, pedal mount, trim/mount fenders, and chain guide

and as she sits mostly finished. Need to make a bracket for the front fender still, and then slap a quick coat of paint on it. Grand total invested still the same 12 bucks for a fun car show cruiser.

Got the tierod notches welded up, the curved front section of the notch will be welded once the frames flipped back over.

Then the front half of where the 2 frames were spliced together, made the filler pieces and it welded it in.

then the bottom half of all the welds on the gas tank crossmembers, notches, and suspension crossmember all welded up.

made the filler piece for between the rear cab mounts and the side that runs up to the bed mount. The filler piece shows how much the mounts were lowered down.

front 12" brake set and machined down hubs.

and a gratuitous shot of the crazy 7'4" long bike leaning on the frame.

tiny bit of forward progress. (took 10 steps back last week.. so 1 step forward, still 9 behind &^%!)

Finished repairing the hack job the previous owner did on the front spring pocket back side wall by welding up the many off cut/weird grinder cuts, and also made some plates to close back in the excessively large holes he cut. I added a triangle to the back of the pocket about 2" x 3" long and I still have enough room to fit a DOM 2600 bag with 1" of space all around it. Some people should not touch vehicles...

Also got the suspension back on and the frame flipped back over again. :woot: