View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Operatorfailure

Finally a c10 owner, now the "fun" begins...

So, about 3 months ago I sold my 2006 trailblazer SS. I have always wanted a 67-72 shortbed, and decided that I wanted one as my daily driver. After looking around for a few weeks and driving multiple trips to look at pieces of junk that photographed well, my wife found a 68 short stepper, decent body and about half what I was wanting to spend, just a couple miles from my house. Needless to say, a couple hours I drove it home. It ran, but missed and backfired, barely stopped but the body was what I was after anyway, and it was perfect for what I was wanting. A daily driver that looked good, but not so good I was afraid to drive it everywhere. Oh, and I already had planned on an LS swap, so the engine not running right wasn't that big of a deal.

I plan on doing things in phases with this truck.

Phase 1. Get it safe to drive. New windshield, brakes, make sure all lights work, all of that fun stuff.

Phase 2. 5.3/4L60E swap.

Phase 3. Lower the truck 3/5 or so.

Phase 4. A/C.

Phase 5. 76 mm turbo, and more than likely 4L80E swap. (I wanted to go 4L80E originally, but the 4l60 came for free with the engine, so I might as well trash it then upgrade.

Here it is the day I bought it.

I completely rebuilt the drum brakes, new master cylinder, lines, everything to be safe. (disc front and rear will happen, just wasn't in the budget as of now)

I drove it around for about 2 weeks, messed with the carb, timing, everything I could think of and it still had all kinds of issues, so one Saturday I got sick of it, found a 5.3/4L60E on craigslist, drove the 5 hours and picked it up.

Sunday I yanked the tired 350/granny 4 speed out.

Working in my 2 car garage and still parking my wifes car inside every night sucks, I need a shop.

After pulling the engine, I pressure washed and painted the engine bay.

Got the engine in.

I would highly reccomend not using CPP motor stands if you plan on using stock truck manifolds, or tbss manifolds. I tried both, and it was a no go.

So I modified the stands, and now they work with my tbss manifolds.

I am cheap, so I modified my harness myself. For some reason I didn't take any of it finished, but it looked like everyone elses.

That pretty much gets me up to where I am currently, I have a ton of little things to do, I took off work Wednesday to finish up some of that little stuff, and hopefully fire it up for the first time this weekend.

Operatorfailure is offline   Reply With Quote