Thread: New Project!
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #17
1970GMC3500Longhorn

Re: New Project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stover93 View Post
Hi All. I've been lurking here on the board for a while gathering info for my 68 1/2 ton build. It's a 68 GMC cab and front clip on a 71 Chevy lwb frame, no bed. All of the metal is in really good shape. The frame has been painted and it looks like it has some new brake lines, etc. Somebody started on this truck and gave up on it.

I've never done one of these builds before though I did own a 71 Chevy lwb when I was young & cash tight. Sooo... I had a few questions.

Since my rig is sort of a franken-truck already, I was planning on cutting it down to a swb and switching to a chevy front end. Are there any issues with switching from a gmc grille to a chevy? I have a 68 Chevy grille that was in the pile of parts that came with the truck.

I pulled the diff cover and it's a "one-legger" 3.73. I'm going to switch to a posi or Eaton true track. Leaning toward the true track but I've read good and bad info on both. Thoughts?

Been talking to Silver Sport about one of their TKO 500 driveline kits. Anyone have experience with Silver Sport? They've been very responsive to my questions so that makes me feel like they'll help me out when I actually become a customer.

I need a motor as well. I'm looking at the Smeding 383's but have been considering a truck ls 5.3 as well. I had an 02 Silverado with one of those and it ran pretty dang good for a stock engine.

Anyway, any comments are appreciated and I'm really glad I ran across this board. The info here is top notch. I think I've favorited about 50 posts already!

Keep it a gmc, the grill looks tougher and the gmc hood letters are cool!
GMC is rarer as well
1970GMC3500Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote