View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 06:45 PM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: In cab gas tank stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by towbar View Post
The inside of your tank looks great to me.
I just replaced my 72 tank with an aftermarket tank which was supposed to be for a 72 with the emissions lines to the charcoal canister in the engine compartment. The neck on the new tank was much larger and my original 72 cap did not fit, it was terribly loose to the point it would fall off. No way the cap would have stayed on. I cut off my original 72 neck and tig'd it on to the new tank. I picked up a new sender with filter cheap, and replaced the brass float with a plastic one from a Jeep, fit perfectly, and should never leak and fill with fuel. I found the info on the Jeep float on here as well.

I think the tube from the neck to the tank it to aid fuel filling and allow air to evacuate the tank and not blow fuel like a whale port. May be wrong? if so, someone will correct my thinking hopefully.
Where did you get your tank? Brass float? The buoy I called a ball in the pic.?

Tell you what, don't be in a hurry to dry these tanks. The blower has been running 45 minutes or so and it's still damp along the seams.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote