View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 11:59 PM   #27
ryans69chevy

Re: My 1970 GMC Project

Kyle spend some time on YouTube checking out "how to's" it might be worth it and it's free. You can always search this site for some welding tips as well.

I can't see your picture that well, but if it's not sticking, either the metal isn't clean enough or your settings are a little bit off. Like you said maybe you want to just practice on some scrap. You could even weld some of the metal you cut out of your cab which would be able to dial in exactly the right thickness.

Just play around with it until you feel comfortable. Also what size wire are you using? .023 is what I use for anything smaller than my frame basically. I use .030 on my frame. If you are using too big of wire it could cause either too much heat which would burn through thin metal since it requires more heat to melt or its not enough heat to fully melt and penetrate into the metal. Try even tilting your gun at a little angle - this might prevent the blow throughs. Btw I wish I had a tig welder too! What kinda mig welded are you using?
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote