View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 01:04 AM   #28
Kronald_70GMC

Re: My 1970 GMC Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans69chevy View Post
Kyle spend some time on YouTube checking out "how to's" it might be worth it and it's free. You can always search this site for some welding tips as well.

I can't see your picture that well, but if it's not sticking, either the metal isn't clean enough or your settings are a little bit off. Like you said maybe you want to just practice on some scrap. You could even weld some of the metal you cut out of your cab which would be able to dial in exactly the right thickness.

Just play around with it until you feel comfortable. Also what size wire are you using? .023 is what I use for anything smaller than my frame basically. I use .030 on my frame. If you are using too big of wire it could cause either too much heat which would burn through thin metal since it requires more heat to melt or its not enough heat to fully melt and penetrate into the metal. Try even tilting your gun at a little angle - this might prevent the blow throughs. Btw I wish I had a tig welder too! What kinda mig welded are you using?
Thanks for your feedback. I will definatly have to do my reasearch now lol. I am using .030 as that is the smallest size flux core wire you can get to the best of my knowledge (which isnt very good when it comes to welding...yet lol). My welder is an ancient hobart 140 handler but I do not have the gas hookup. There is the place for the hookup but I dont have the tank or gauges. Might be more worth it to spend some money on a newer welder before I get the gas. As far as tilting my gun goes, I've tried so many diffrent angles but it almost seems like my wire speed fluctuates while I am welding so it is very difficult to be consistent. I have had a few very nice tacks but they are far and few between. I am also going to be picking up a new auto darkening helmet because mine is in very bad shape (my dads old one lol) It probably is not helping that I cant see very well. Im not giving up, I will figure this out!

1970 GMC "Project Splice"

2017 Silverado LTZ (Daily Driver)

IG: kyle_ronald
Kronald_70GMC is offline   Reply With Quote