View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 11:45 PM   #253
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

More "oh by the way's). When I left off on the caster modification I had not installed the shocks due to the local supplier being unable to provide the right ones on the first four tries. Now that I had the correct ones I realized that when the bags were aired out the shocks would hit the cross member or the brake line bracket. The easiest option was to fabricate new mounts and repostion the lower shock mount on the arm. I took heavy wall 4" x 2" square tubing and cut one end off to make a U-shaped shock mount. Then trimmed it to shape and drilled a 1/2" hole (photo 1). The small notch allows the mount to fit onto the rolled edge of the control arm. The old mount was cut off and then after many up and down checks I found the right location. A quick clean up with a grinder to remove the paint I just put on. I tacked the mount on the arm and ran it up and down once more to confirm before welding it out. The difference in location will affect how the shocks feel inside the truck as they are now closer to the frame and more vertical than before. I apologize about the poor photos. But the last photo shows how much room there is now. I'm not a big fan of those red boots, but they did give me a smoke'n deal on these Rancho 5120's for all the time and trouble they caused. Plus hopefully I won't have to look at them again for a couple of months.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote