Thread: Dies at Idle
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2022, 08:36 PM   #5
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Is this a recent problem or has it plagued you all summer?
This problem has persisted at different degrees since I’ve owned the rig (late 2016) but it’s inconsistent. Yesterday it idled beautifully when I took it out for errands. Today it wouldn’t run below what I would guess to be between 1200 and 1300 RPM (a guess since there’s no tach in the panel and I didn’t hook up my digital timing light today). One time for some unknown reason the misfire/stumble cleared, engine speed increased considerably to where it was idling beautifully for a few moments, then the misfire returned and it wouldn’t run without dying unless I fed it throttle. I can’t detect a misfire at higher engine speeds. In the past I have had a timing light on it when it’s idling poorly and ignition timing doesn’t change as it slowly dies, leading me to believe it’s fuel-related and not ignition.

I traced the fuel line back from the inlet of the fuel pump to where it disappears above the fuel tank. Along that span there are three short rubber sections that connect between the steel line. Two of those rubber connectors are cracked and need to be replaced, but there is no evidence of dampness, so I don’t believe they are a source of air being introduced. Nonetheless, they need to and will be replaced in the next few days.

Power at the HEI is 12.1V, so unresisted.

I’m stumped. A thought that occurred to me today is maybe it’s the fuel pump so unless someone has any better ideas I’m considering getting a fuel pressure gauge and checking outlet pump pressure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Classics Fan is offline   Reply With Quote