Thread: Berthas Build
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #37
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: Berthas Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfairchild19 View Post
Also, how did you figure out the correct length for the pushrod that connects to the brake pedal?
I remember now. I called a buddy of mine with a 72 K5 and asked where his pedal sat static. I was going to put it on the rubber bumper at rest, but I had adjusted a brake pedal very high in a vehicle long ago and everybody that drove it complained, so I wanted this one to be in the "right" spot from the get-go. I have mine set right at about 1/2" off the rubber bumper. It still has good range of motion and transition from gas to brake is good--not too high (my foot doesn't run into the side of the brake pedal in transition).

As far as the rod goes, I took the rod that the hydroboost came with and cut the pedal end ring off of it. For the pedal end I took a 73-? female threaded booster rod end and bored it out to a slight press fit on the o.d. of the cut off hydroboost rod. I put it all in the truck, set the pedal 1/2" off the rubber bumper, marked the location on the hydroboost shaft, pulled it all out and welded it together. I'm not a big fan of welding on brake parts, but I figured the part is piloted into the female end and the weld will only be in compression, not tension and there will be no real side-loading. With that going for it, I decided that was my way out of that situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfairchild19 View Post
I will get pictures up when I am finished with the transmission crossmember hopefully tonight or tomorrow night.
Really?? Cool, I can't wait!! Oh, wait, :yawn: