View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Re: 1969-1972 Chevy/GMC Factory Steering Wheel Restoration

This is the best way to do it. I've seen some just use bondo and call that a restoration. You can imagine how that will (I should say won't) hold up. You can buy PC-7 for a lot less than that Eastwood kit and it's probably exactly what they are giving you. Eastwood basically sells re-labled products you can buy elsewhere for less. I have wondered about using material from another wheel to "weld" the cracks,then epoxy,then bondo if necessary. The issue here is separation. I've been successful at welding like plastics with a soldering gun before. One jib was a water tank in the camper on my old '71. The plastic back then was parafin-based and no adhesive will work. I cut about 1/4" off the neck,and used that the weld the crack where the neck went into the tank (all molded in one piece). The hand pump has to be able to pressurize the tank to work...and it did,for many years after.

Edit: Oops! I see Eastwood does give you PC-7. But you can still get all that cheaper elsewhere

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-26-2013 at 08:53 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote