View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 04:37 PM   #24
Ironangel

Re: In-Cab Gas Tank ARRRGH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
When I wrecked my '72 C1500 7 years ago and then rebuilt it afterwards I pondered an aftermarket in cab tank. I even pondered an under bed tank. When I removed the original tank out of the cab so I could do rust repair, I stuck it in a shed on the outskirts of our property. Heck I even left a half tank of fuel in it for some odd reason.

Fast forward to 4 years later it was time to reinstall, buy new, or stick a tank under the bed. I chose to reuse. Mainly because of the horror stories i had heard about aftermarket in cab tanks. I also didn't feel like the extra work of sticking it under the bed and figuring out where the filler neck was going to be.

My original was in good shape with no rust in it. Even after sitting in a shed with fuel in it for 4 years it had no rust in it. So I flushed it the best i could, and added a new "filter sock" on the end of the pickup tube, and reintsalled it in the cab. Even resealed nicely in the old original filler neck grommet. Working flawlessly to this day.

So unless you visually inspected the tank and it has either rusted or it has some sort of weird leaking issue. I'd simply reuse the original.

Gary
What he said!
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote