View Single Post
Old 09-09-2022, 06:35 PM   #7
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: 1967 GMC RPO Codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
I always find it interesting that you guys in Alaska have trucks built in Fremont instead of, say, Canada. Like you wouldn't need a block heater as badly as we do.

The RPOs seems quite legible to me, what do you need help with?

Lots of knowledgeable people on this site, just ask a question. Great looking truck.
A truck built in Fremont, California only has to be shipped by sea north.
A truck built in Oshawa, Ontario has to be shipped west by rail to BC, then embarked north to Alaska.
When it arrives there it's an Import.
Block Heaters were not standard equipment out of Fremont, true. I imagine the Anchorage Chevy dealer did a land office business installing them.

I worked a few fishing boats in [and out of-] Cordova, AK in the summer of '88. [Halibut, Salmon.] I was surprised at the number of older Chevy trucks there. Mostly of the '67-'72 vintage, which stood out to me since I owned a '68 C/10 Stepside [and still have it.]
Most if not all had a cracked windshield.
I asked one of the Locals about it. Oh yeah, they get covered with snowdrifts all winter and people walk all over where the vehicles are, he said. Cordova, it should be noted is cut off from the interior by glaciers. Only access is by Sea or Air. There was a road over the glacier once, but since they had to rebuild it every summer due to spring run-off erosion, they quit bothering.
Any cars or trucks in or out of Cordova go by ferry.

Cordova is situated on the East end of the Prince William Sound. East by Southeast of Valdez, AK. When the tanker Exxon Valdez spilled her guts on the Sound in 1989, that killed the catchment area. I never went back.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 09-10-2022 at 08:01 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote