View Single Post
Old 06-16-2022, 05:55 PM   #138
Second Series

Re: 1947 Panel Truck Frame swap with ’88 k2500

Several trips to several stores over several weeks just to bolt up the last bits before fireing it up. I mounted the coolant reservoir. Mounted the relays for the original key and foot starter. Got a hydraulic crimper for the 8Ga ground wire off the battery. The old battery wouldn’t take a charge. I had a smaller battery that did charge up. The engine turned with the foot button, but would not fire. Tried dumping gas in but no go. I got a new battery but still wouldn’t start. I started looking at the fuel delivery. I put a test light on the fuel pump wire. Turn the key on, light comes on and then goes off after a moment. That part was working, but was the pump running? I disconnected the ground from the fuel tank and placed a current meter in series between the ground and frame. My meter goes up to 2 Amps. I turned the key on and the meter went to OL for a moment. Looks like the fuel pump is drawing current. Lastly I unscrewed the fuel line from the throttle body, it was wet. Awhile ago I was troubleshooting a garden tiller. I needed a way to check for spark. I looked for spark checkers on-line and found two kinds available. I was not impressed with the reviews on either, so I made my own. I took a switch that contains a neon bulb, and wired that to a spark plug. Not for the spark plug itself, but for the terminal of the spark plug. I connected one spark plug wire to my tester and placed the light in the hole for the cowl vent drain so I could see it while cranking. No spark. Look under the distributor cap to find a rusted mess. I ohmed out the ignition coil(looked good), and the pick-up coil(bad).Yesterday with new distributor, installed, cranked, STARTED right up! What a thrill! I started cleaning up and putting away tools. Time to bolt the seat in. I set up a special tool to get the nuts under the seat riser.
Attached Images

1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
1990 Chevy K1500
Second Series is offline   Reply With Quote