View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 10:58 AM   #15
SCOTI

Re: Lowering and Towing with a Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android04 View Post
What is your thoughts of welding in the C-Notch kit? That's what I did on my 65, but I also do not tow with it. I've looked around for a under bed notch but have only seen them for 88 and up. But haven't done much digging yet.

Thanks Scoti for replying, I was awaiting your reply. When I searched for lowering Dually, your name came up a bunch. haha

So as of now I'm thinking of doing a simple 3" - 4" drop with helper bags. Should look decent with the Semi wheels that I'll have to sell my kids to purchase. Would've never expected them to be that dang expensive.
Todd @ Lowboys has an under-bed boxed-notch set-up. Not sure if it's over-the-counter available or just for in-house installs. It's not much taller but anything that can help is better than just an un-boxed bolt-in c-notch. *I thought just boxing the inside rail on a typical bolt-in c-notch would make-up the difference but the math showed it really didn't add much to the rail strength. The strength is in the vertical/height.

On my '99, I'm using a bolt-in Belltech c-notch, notching the bed floor supports above the frame rail (they're ~2.25" tall), boxing the inside of the rail, & welding a section of 2x2x.250" wall square tube to the top of the notch. By doing this, my fame rail height will only be <1" different vs unmodified/stock height.

It was stressed to me by the engineer that those C-sections that are ~2" rail height 'weak spots' above the axle tubes combined w/towing loads & a leaf spring arrangement (anchor points 2' in front/behind those weak spots) are not a good idea & def not as safe as un-cut engineered rail.

The 3-4" drop will look good too. And those semi wheels.... I'll say 'yes' they're a nice addition but just not worth the $$ in the big picture to me. But, it's a personal thing. You can't go to an event & not come across a dozen big Squares or other dually's w/them on. Oooooo…. Wow. The guys not running 22's & still looking good? They're doing something right. I guess my perspective is the semi's/22" deal are like the old Boss 338's/current Billet Specialties Speedways. They were/are everywhere @ shows.

Now.... A custom 20/22 set-up on a dually? That would peek my interest.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 08-28-2020 at 11:09 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote