Thread: YOM tags
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2022, 12:32 PM   #38
special-K
Special Order

Re: YOM tags

My '72 plates are restored and they are legitimate.

I have a set of N.O.S. Virginia truck tags I had bought for one of my '72 K/20s. My sister lives in VA and I would just register it at her address. I came to find out why they existed still as N.O.S. years after I bought them. VA alternated from black plates with white letters to the reverse every other year. From talking to people mine are the opposite from the norm. Everyone would say they must have been painted by someone the wrong way. Years later I'm talking to a knowledgeable vintage tag dealer and he told me the story on that. In '72 the one prison made the first batch the wrong color. Until another run could be made up in the correct colors they had to issue the wrong colored ones. I guess mine are a set that never got issued before the right ones were made.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote