View Single Post
Old 06-22-2022, 04:40 AM   #385
Paul Y

Re: The English are coming! Or..another C10 in the Motherland.

Thanks to a member of another forum I proudly present this weeks edition of Woody's Round up!

I am at the stage where there is a little of bits that have to be done but there doesn't appear to be any major forward movement - frustrating to say the least...

A tip I was given many years ago was to paint under the dash white so that when you are laying on your back gazing into the abyss you can actually see what you are doing.

So that's what I did.

Quick rub down to get rid of the surface rust and a quick coat of that Vactan stuff resulted in this.

And looked like this after I had hit it with the left over spray can of high build and white.

Not perfect but just right for the intended purpose. I have done this on the last 3 cars I put together and it really works - would recommend

Next was to remove the passenger door as there were a few pin holes in the bottom of the door in the same place as the drivers side.

Not too bad but after cutting out where the metal had got a bit thin I discovered that the bottom of the door was packed with dirt. Not the end of the world until I discovered a huge lump of filler intermingled with Californias finest forestry dirt - which it turn manifested into this....

Oh dear....

Lets zip that out then shall we.

The offending article.

I am in no way a bodywork guy but, as I had a big hole where metal used to be, now was the time to see if my skills had improved over the past couple of years.

First thing was to select a part of the lunar landscape that was Woodys damaged bed side which could be repurposed.

More by luck than good judgement there was one bit that had no damage which was about the right size.

(never throw anything away kids!)

Before sticking it in I cut out a dodgy looking bit of the door frame and threw a coat of weld through primer on it.

Then took a big deep breath and stuck it in (Narf,Narf)

Now, some of you will have read elsewhere that I was having trouble with my welder - thankfully my elderly father fixed it for me - but something was not quite right with the welds after the repair. I thought it was because of the water I was using to stop warping, which worked very well, but after I had completed the repair I discovered that Pops had taken the wire guide wheel off and had not tightened it down fully on reassembly meaning the wire was not feeding at a constant rate.

My fault, should have checked it but meant the weld was not as good as I would have liked. However, it is in - I am not metal finisher and a skim of Glen Miller will sort that right out.

To my surprise there was no distortion and it fitted in nicely. Maybe not such a surprise when you consider it was at an edge but I will take that.

A bit of improvisation with angle iron, mole grips and assorted hammers....

Resulted in this.

Which I am reasonably happy with.

It was also where my phone run out of battery charge so no more picture - Phew I hear the collective sigh....

Hopefully next stage will be to throw some paint on but that is down to Jay the Spring Slashers time schedule.

So, until the next time.

ONWARDS!

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...

Last edited by Paul Y; 06-22-2022 at 04:45 AM.
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote