View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #351
1972RedNeck

Re: My 56 6bt 4X4 build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6BT 56 View Post
You are correct. The more I think abt it the more I'm quite happy with how everything sits on the original frame body wise. I think the route of my problem is that the 56 front springs are held at the rear. With shackle at front . Every other push pull steering truck is mounted at front of spring and shackle at rear. I think my push pull and the fact that the leaf is mounted at the back is my trouble . Just wondering if I should update to newer leaf springs and change mounts around or should I try crossover steering ?
While crossover steering is the way to go, I think your steering/handling problems come from the steering box and possible caster angle.

RedHead steering gear is the only way to go for a first gen Dodge box (any steering gear really).

What is you caster set at? You are using the Dodge D60 front, right? If so, I am willing to bet your caster angle is in the 1° to 2° range. Get it up to at least 4° if not 6° to 8°.

Another important thing is to use Dana/Spicer parts only in the kingpins - On my current 1st gen Dodge, I rebuilt the kingpins with NAPA cones and springs - truck drove terrible. Finally bought OEM parts and it was much better.

Turns out the NAPA cones were way softer so they were grabbing and galling and wouldn't let the wheels "self steer".

As for the leaf spring setup, my '66 F250 is pined in the back, shackle (actually slipper) int he front. I have been known to regularly cruise at 90 to 100 MPH. Drives great.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote