View Single Post
Old 02-01-2021, 10:15 AM   #1
K5Fan

A Couple of Things About My Top

I hope everyone is doing well today...
I recently bought a 1970 Blazer that I'm doing a partial resto, and I've had a couple of them in the past, but its been a while. I have a couple of questions that I think I know the answers to, but I would like to get some other ideas and input.

First, I'm pretty sure I have a two wall top, since on the past Blazer tops I've had, the bolts for the sides of the top went down into the body from the top of the sides, with the chrome pieces. The one I have, the bolts go in from under the bed up into the top, and you can't see the bolts when they are in. Also, the inner underside of the top has the lines going fore and aft, and there seems to be a hollow space between the underside of the top and the top side of the top. I know it sounds silly to ask, but that is what is called a two wall top, right?

The other thing that I am doing is making a bikini top that I want to attach to the front of the windshield and stretch it back, over the roll bar. I was looking to make the top out of Ottertex and wanted to know if anyone has used this material. What ever material I use, I wanted to have the front of the top wrap around the underside of the ledge on the front of the windshield frame, and didn't know what the best way was to secure the front of the bikini to the underside of the ledge. 100 years ago, the last time I made a bikini top for my 67 Blazer, I don't remember if it had the same ledge on the front of the windshield frame or not. Either way, what I did was I found a wrecked Blazer with a smashed top, but the front of the fiberglass top was still good. I cut the fiberglass top to where i was able to bolt it on to the windshield frame seal, and glassed in the canvas with biaxle and epoxy. Worked Great!! I wish I hadn't sold it with the truck, but... I was able to roll up the canvas with the fiberglass top front, and it fit in back between the roll bar and the bedside, but even when I had it strapped in the back it was still kind of clunky and would get in the way of stuff. Worst of all, it wore a couple of holes in my roll bar covers because of the shape of the fiberglass.

I would like to try to figure out a way to just secure the material across the front top of the windshield frame and wrap it around under the ledge that sticks out from the front of the windshield frame. I was thinking Velcro, since that would make a continuous connection unlike snaps or something . I have looked for some kind of frame or even a bikini top I could buy, but the closest thing I could find was from Bestop for a Scout, and it specifically says that it will not fit my Blazer. Any ideas or suggestions?

This is a great forum, and I'm glad to be a part of it. Thank Youuuuu!!!

Chris.
K5Fan is offline   Reply With Quote