View Single Post
Old 03-31-2019, 05:06 PM   #96
89AKurt

Re: I'm legit again, my "new" '68 LB

Some background first, I got these slotted mag wheels off eBay, seller did not say one of the wheels was not a Shelby, and was a different backset, weighed more, rim edges didn't look the same, but he did do a partial refund. I was lucky to find a wheel that matched dimensions, so the odd wheel is the spare. Cleaning them was a royal PITA too, must have been pulled from a swamp. But I was finally happy.
Fast forward to when I sold the '69, buyer did not want the wheels, said I could get them back in a reasonable time. Two months later ... he had put the tires on the other wheels, I said no, I paid for those tires and the size is not correct, get them back on my wheels! Many excuses and apologies later, I finally got them back. Minus the spare tire (like WTH?). Then I see they put a tire on the odd spare wheel, so I had Discount Tire switch that. Today I discover the idiots who worked on the wheels lost lug nut washers, so I can't finish (Sunday).

Stop on the way down to Phoenix. Was smelling gas after tanking up, looked in mirror and saw DUH! Good thing I always put the cap in the bed.

Loaded with the wheels. The '69 is working great for him, after replacing the starter. Saw in a garage a few houses down, someone is restoring one of these!

Trip back...

Discovered the idiots who worked on the wheels, lost NINE washers.

I did not notice rivets that stand out on the '69, which do not allow the wheel to set down. The forth good wheel has recess space.

Drilled one of the Shelby wheels for recess space.

I also discovered a ball joint is toast. [see if video on Flickr works here]
Trip to get wheels back by Kurt Womack, on Flickr

Could not finish a simple wheel swap because of missing lug nut washers. The mag with bigger tire weighs about the same.