View Single Post
Old 03-20-2016, 07:58 PM   #5
hewittca

Re: Introduction, nostalgia, and '68 build, oh my

Although I've never had a C10 before despite always wanting one, I have had a few projects in the past. In high school I was actually in the process of saving money for a C10 when my uncle called and said he was going to give me his 1980 Malibu, the only problem was he rear ended somebody with it... so I opted for the set of wheels in front of me versus continuing saving for the C10.

The Malibu was rough, but after 13 years of slow progress while daily driving it through high school, college, and grad school, I was finally at a point where my budget did not match my vision for the car, so the project aspect ended. I realized I enjoyed working on it more than driving it, so I finally sold it.

What I didn't mention earlier was that in conjunction to my love for old Chevy trucks, I also grew up with a love for old Volkswagens, mainly due to the old Beetle my uncle gave me (same one who gave me the Malibu later on). Instead of a swingset, I had an old beetle and I couldn't imagine anything greater as a kid.

At the time I sold the Malibu, I was swaying towards my Volkswagen side and ended up buying a 1963 Beetle. As with the Malibu, it was rough.

After two years I was yet again at a point where I was done with the project aspect and wasn't able to drive the Beetle that much, all the while my desire for a C10 was continuing to grow again.

So how does any of this relate to getting a C10? Well, after getting sidetracked from the C10 by the Malibu, and then fulfilling my desire for an old Volkswagen, I finally came back to my original desire to own a C10 and put the Beetle up for sale. After four patient months waiting for it to sell while I religiously checked Craigslist for C10s, I finally got a call this Friday from a guy who said he wanted my beetle for an agreed upon price, and wanted to know if he could come pick it up that night. So, I took the bug out for one last drive, filled her up, and completed the deal.

The next thing I did was call about a truck that I had been keeping my eye on and we set up a time for me to come see it the next day (this past Saturday). So, after checking out the truck, we struck a deal, and I finally brought home a C10 after wanting one since a little kid. As you can see, I am already imprinting my own son with a love for these trucks as he could not leave the truck alone for more than a few seconds for me to snap a picture without him in it (which was fine by me!).

Now, I jumped to conclusions so that there was at least some C10 content to this post on my past projects and what lead to me finally buying a C10. Before I go into the specifics on the truck, I want to start documenting right from the beginning on this C10 with the actual journey to go purchase this truck, and the C10 heaven I discovered in the process.
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote