View Single Post
Old 04-22-2021, 10:08 PM   #13
chevmn

Re: I couldn't afford a SS 396 at 18 and 50 years later I still cant.

My first vehicle was a 67 CST pickup. I actually wanted a truck, and this one sat for a while at a small dealership locally where I grew up, and I really did not give it much notice at first. I had no idea it was originally a 327/TH400 and was loaded with options, but the original 327 was gone, and in its place a 327 out of Corvette, but tired. The first time I saw it on the road the dealership owners son was driving it, and I knew I had to have it. I surprised many with that truck, including a 383 Roadrunner. A few years later I ended up trading that truck for a big block SS Chevelle, but wish I had that red CST pickup again, although I ended up replacing the engine two times while I owned it, and the last was a low compression 350. I am now restoring a 72 Cheyenne with big block, but I could not help making the engine bay look much like the muscle cars of the day complete with headers, and factory style chrome air cleaner and valve covers on the 402. I would still like to have a big block chevelle (prefer 70 like most), but I doubt I will ever have an original, but the thought has crossed my mind to build my own SS 454 clone, and it would have to be red with cowl induction and the black stripes. We'll see how it goes, I plan to retire in a year or so and will have a lot more time on my hands. You only live once, and life is short. Those of you who grew up during the 60s and 70s know what I am talking about...... arguably the automotive era peaked in or around 1970, and it's been a downhill slide since in many ways.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote