View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 11:03 AM   #18
RustyPile

Re: Boo - Random Door Bit Fell Out (Regulator?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
I guess you aren't in Elkhart, because that's about 80 miles from Kilgore!(
YIKES!!! Total brain fart on my part... You said "Kilgore" and I was thinking "Killeen".. Totally different part of the state.. That's why I elaborated on my trips to the VA facility... Let me tell you, Richard... Getting old is NOT for sissies.. lol

Even after 50 - 60 years the glue holding that glass is still strong.. I didn't remove the glass from the carrier channel on my truck but I did talk to a glass guy over in Tyler about doing so.. He uses some kind of chemical to soften/dissolve/remove the glue.. All of the bonding material gets replaced when installing the glass...

Not to place you at risk, but if the bit of welding is the only reason to remove that glass, I'd rather not, but I can weld it with the glass in place.. It's just 3 - 4 spot welds and far enough away from the glass that all that's needed is a welding blanket to protect the glass from the spatters... If you need to remove the glass for other work, I think it's a good idea to have a glass shop do it for you..

While we're on the subject, if you haven't already, I suggest you replace the window channels also. No special tools or glue needed. If the channel felt or rubber gets bad, that broken piece digs in and causes more damage.. On the driver's side, mine dug in so bad the window got jammed about mid-point and wouldn't go up or down...
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote