View Single Post
Old 02-29-2020, 01:27 AM   #70
joedoh

Re: Project "Bickle" 1948 1/2 ton 4.3 4l60e

getting the frame out of the garage meant it was time to screw with the plasma table. I have not received the battery for my laptop yet, so I rolled it close to the door where my workstation is. did all my checks and tests and ran my g code on a "dry run" without firing the torch, it all worked super great. I put some water in the water table and the torch fired. and fired. and didnt stop. it wasnt cutting through the material it was just on constantly.

I checked and checked and checked, restarted the CAM software a few times, checked the table stuff. I ruined a few half sheets trying different things, nothing seemed to work. Then i started thinking, this is the new torch model with the cnc port, and they supply the cable. the torch fired every time I plugged the port in. so I went looking and sure enough under the shrink wrap I found a short.

aha! after that it was milk and honey. click to play

IMG_6371 by Rooty Tooty, on Flickr

I had to slow the cut speed down a lot, the cut table said 65ipm but I found 48 gave no dross and a clean cut.

my first foldable mount (you can see the previous failed cut on the other side haha)

I cut it and folded it in the vise in about 45 seconds total.

my wife wants me to bronze it, I am not sentimental so I will cut a second tomorrow as well as the rears and core support mounts too. I would cut them now but everyone is asleep again after hearing me shout AHA and the compressor running again.

I also got a job for the table, that was really a secondary goal, got an order for 200 parts, simple cut and weld job out of some 14 ga. I might post pics of that too, but maybe not, just keep it truck stuff.
Attached Images

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote