View Single Post
Old 05-20-2022, 10:15 PM   #162
KMC3420

Re: Project: Montezuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by May70 View Post
KMC - Do you know if the stock oil pan is going to clear the cross member?

Also I would say I did a significant amount of research over the course of about a week. For my use and desire, a cam would essentially be of no benefit and would add about $400 to the bill in parts. I will get more low end out of a tune than a cam. Even the best 'low end' cams (being ~2500rpm and under) are only throwing an extra 4-10 ft-lbs at best and that's theoretical. Some even have substantial low end losses. Most swaps you only benefit ~5k rpm and up which my truck will never see. I elected to put a stock 6.0 cam back in since mine was wrecked. Also keeping 317 heads. I had extensive conversations with the machine show guys and spoke with summit, BTR and a few others. It was pretty much across the board not going to benefit my desire/use, cost more and probably complicate things for me (and I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible when I can).
Typically no, the stock truck oil pan won’t fit with the stock cross member. All depends on the motor mounts however. I believe some mounts allow the truck oil pan to be used but may also allow the pan to hang lower than the cross member which isn’t ideal. 100% agree on the cam swap. Not needed if your going all stock. I opted to go with the truck Norris cam from BTR. It had the best curve and is still low enough lift so it’s not so rough on the valve train. I figured since it’s out might as well, but truly the stock HP will suffice more often than not. At this point I have my floor in, cab corners, rockers. And now doing the inner roof by the visors. I would love to throw a bone stock 6.0 in it and roll on down the road, smiles for miles. We will get there my man! Just time and money.