Thread: Drop spindle ?
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2023, 02:14 PM   #8
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Drop spindle ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mc bride View Post
I do not have problem with drop spindles I am thinking they will help with more clearance. Might could go 1" but not going 20". Do not like the look of huge rims and little to no sidewall. Plus with lowering and stiffer suspenion I figure just make ride rougher, While not looking for cadilac ride also not for horse and buggy ride. Just raod carving handling.
Drop spindles can actually help the ride quality. With factory control arms there is a limit to how low the truck can go. The closer you get to the limit the less travel the suspension has to absorb bumps in the road. Thus the stiffer the shocks must be to prevent the suspension from bottoming out.

So instead of using 4 inch drop sprngs, you can use 2 inch drop spindles and 2 inch drop springs to get a 4 inch drop while the suspension still has the travel of a 2 inch drop.

Dropped spindles allow you to gain drop but keep suspension travel. It's a win win as not only do you retain the travel but you keep the control arms closer to stock location which helps with bump steer.

As previously pointed out the downside is reduced wheel clearance. Going with 16 wheels is fine but tire choices are limited for 16 inch wheels.. A better choice would be 17 inch wheels as there are lots of good tire choices in that size.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote