View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 10:43 AM   #98
Tempest67

Re: 51 Chev on a S10 frame, named Dale

Spent some time working on the Passenger door Bear Claw latch.

I never liked how the rod from the latch to the inside handle did not follow the indent in the inner panel, so here is what I did.

first, attach the inside handle the other way (rotate it 180)....yes, you only attach it with 2 of the 3 bolts, but it is not moving

then position the rod in the latch, through the hole you made, and see how it lines up

mark the rod with a pie shaped cut, make the cut, bend it to fit the new location of the attaching point, weld it up, paint it, and attach to handle.

CAUTION with the Altman Latches - when I did the driver's door (first time) the square rod from the exterior door handle was a really tight fit into the square hole in the Altman latch, so I sanded off the rusty square rod so it would fit more easily..DO NOT DO THIS. this is what keeps the door handle level on the outside, so now I have a door handle that has a slight droop. ....piss me off !!!!

I now have new rubbers in the vent windows, new felt window slides, and new door and latch assemblies. the window moves but is tight...... I am hoping the new felts will 'work in'.

........ time to assemble the front clip
Attached Images

Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote