View Single Post
Old 03-09-2022, 06:28 PM   #1
93M6Formula

1996 K3500 Dually Build

As if I don't already have too many projects, i'm starting another...
Hope you like to read because I like to type lol.

I was needing a crewcab again and after looking at a bunch of 99-00 CCSB trucks that were way overpriced and absolutely shot and GMT800 trucks being through the roof, I pretty much gave up until this came along. I've never owned a dually but i've always wanted one and this one fit the bill for being a GMC, 95+, a crewcab, and cheap. Wasn't totally wanting a big project but I figured i'd be searching forever and probably overpaying for something that isn't what I really wanted. This being cheap enough, it's pretty much a blank canvas to build the exact truck I need.

My 95 K2500 is my main tow/work rig right now and the poor thing is just getting so rusty and being an extended cab, it just isn't worth fixing now with a family being started. Makes me a little sad because I absolutely love the truck and how it looks so my idea with the dually is to recreate my 95 in dually crewcab form, color, drivetrain and all.

Now for the intro to the dually. It's a 96 SLE with a Vortec 454 and 4L80E and 163K rough miles. Very nicely optioned which made me happy, pretty much only missing leather. Has rear defog, overhead console, power seats, etc. The motor is bad which didn't matter because i'm building a 6.5 for it. I have tons of donors for parts laying around so the swap will be easy.

The truck is honestly pretty rough unfortunately... It was a farm truck and lived on gravel roads so it has rust and dents but not totally roached where it can't be fixed. Frame is solid for the most part, just minor pitting on the rear half although i'm going to replace the rear spring hangers. Floors seem solid so far, just going to need full rockers and cab corners. Doors, fenders, and the entire box is shot but I found a good box and I have everything but rear doors laying around.

This will be a complete frame-off/nut and bolt build that will cost me too much money but i'm all in... The final product plan is a Burgundy/Silver two-tone CCLB dually with burgundy interior, fresh 4L80E, fresh built 6.5 similar to the one in my current 95. I eventually want a slide in camper for it so my wife and I can travel a little as well. This will take awhile so I probably won't update regularly but I hope to have the truck of my dreams within two years.

The day I picked it up.

1995 GMC K2500 ECLB 6.5L 4L80E
1996 GMC K3500 CCLB LB7 6L90
93M6Formula is offline   Reply With Quote