View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
NewType72

Re: 1969-1972 Chevy/GMC Factory Steering Wheel Restoration

9. Last paint sanding stage grab the finest of sanding material to create the slickest finish as possible be sure to keep water going over it as best as possible and try not to burn any holes its too costly at this stage to recreate the whole process over. Once you're completely happen and feel it has the best you can put into it move to the final step.

10. Lay down your final coats evenly and as light as possible this is your final chance so be sure to keep a light finger and keep moving so you wont create any wet-spots that will need to be re-sanded afterwards. do as many as you feel is necessary until you are happy with the finished product. be sure to keep the wheel away from the devilish outdoors as I had a dust storm ruin my finish paint within a minute of spraying and had to re-sand for another day. now let it soak up some heat and also cool for next day or so, so that it can adhere to its best ability, and finally enjoy to the fullest as I do with mine. I felt recreating an original wheel such as this on my truck would not only enhance my skill but show more pride and self-satisfaction into something I restored with my own bare-hands instead of just buying and the best thing I get to use it everyday and see it everyday as I drive my truck can't get rid of those smiles so have fun with it don't make it a chore. Thank you for looking in and I hope even one line from all of this was just somewhat helpful in your venture.

I used Truck Shop of Orange CA,'s Horn Cap Retainer Kit PN #69-06502 to assemble the OEM cap I had in stock to the wheel to finish it off looks wise.

[IMG][/IMG]

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721

Last edited by NewType72; 03-26-2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Added more description
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote