View Single Post
Old 09-16-2021, 10:18 AM   #165
SkidmoreGarage

Re: Skidmore '67 C20

I also bought another car built in the Fremont plant... 54 years later.

I did a lot of shopping around and this represented the best value, for my family and where I live, going right now. Used car prices are way up, and the financing and lack of warranty make the minimal depreciation not really worth it for me. Also, dealers and manufacturers are gouging with the pricing structures and car shortage. In 2021 it boggles my mind that car manufacturers can't get it that people don't want to pay 50% more for the performance variant of their car. I could rant for days over the frustration that is the traditional car companies slow decline into irrelevance. The solution isn't complicated.

My wife wanted something that she could easily park (smaller) and was comfortable. I wanted something that had an M or AMG badge on the back. I was very unimpressed with the reliability of the Euro car makers. People love their Volvos and Mercedes, but they will also explain how their car has had the supercharger, turbo, or transmission replaced twice but "the dealer did it for free". I also looked at Chevrolet/Ford/Jeep and ruled them out for different reasons. I wouldn't buy a Jeep/Dodge/Fiat for reliability, quality and ergonomics reasons. I looked at Ford but they really don't have anything to compete in the sport/luxury SUV category. I had driven a high trim F150 for work and liked it, but the current offering is limited to explorer or bronco. Chevrolet has the Tahoe, it starts at $60k, but it is big. Once you step down in size, you also step down in quality, performance, and features. Chevy (and really all of the big three) has lost the concept of what built their legacy in the 50s through the 70s, which is to give the customer what they want and surprise them with the performance value.

What are some highlights:
Made in America by an American company
Faster than a C6 Z06 (3.5 sec to 60)
Room for 5 adults, or two adults and two car seats.
Enough range for where I live ~300 miles
Infotainment actually works
Can drive it like you stole it and not worry about MPGs
No reliability issues with the modern low displacement complicated engines and transmissions
Can "fill up" in my driveway
Attached Images

SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote