View Single Post
Old 03-27-2024, 02:51 PM   #184
SCOTI

Re: 65 Fairlane pro-touring build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
I think I've already painted myself into a corner regarding that option. The panel is pretty much cut to size and after removing the "difference" I'd have to scab a piece back on to replace the missing material. So that would leave me with two seams. The material is so thin (0.026" or 24ga) that even booger welding will probably be a nonstarter. I had planned to use 3M panel adhesive to join the OEM sheetmetal to the patch panel. Another issue I didn't mention previously is that two spots above the wheel arch are bulged out and need to be worked back down. My thinking was that while I had it on the English wheel, I might be able to get those areas back in shape.

As you mentioned, either way is going to require some finesse.
Gotcha. Sounds like a solid plan from your logic.

In my head eliminating a body line w/the English wheel starts stretching the metal possibly in ways not anticipated.

And, sheet metal that thin.... I tack it w/the MIG & then get someone w/a TIG to zip it up. Working through stuff like that now on my Malibu project.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote