View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 01:59 AM   #17
UncleMatt

Re: 71 C30 dually restoration

Ok time for an update. Tomorrow is the day i’ve been anxiously awaiting. I've a got a full day working on the truck and I "should" have all the parts needed to finally mount my wheels and see how this baby sits on my gigantor big rig alcoas.

Here are a few pics of whats been going since my last update.

I searched the country for a set of used super single rear wheels that would match my fronts and came up empty. Then broke down and spent the coin for brand new ones. Had a good laugh when I went to have them mounted when I was told it would be $260 to mount and balance my two wheels. I said what, are you on crack!? He said "well they're big heavy wheels! I went to the next place down the road from me and got them mounted for $30, LOL. Anyway here they are sitting next to the truck. I think they look awesome and can’t wait to see them bolted on!

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 36911
Size:  72.2 KB
Name:  16.jpg
Views: 21854
Size:  60.7 KB

I couldn't find anybody locally that would touch milling my 22.5” front wheels down to 22” Everyone is just so sew happy that they're all super worried about liability. So I UPS’ed them to Tennessee Wheel & Tire and they did it for me for $150 bucks a wheel. After getting them back I couldn't believe how little metal actually needs grinded off. I was tempted to show the machine shops that turned me down how minuscule an amount of material was removed but couldn't be bothered. The 275/45r22's fit right on and seated perfectly. Here they are sitting up next to the truck.

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 24982
Size:  56.0 KB

The only reason these wheels aren't mounted to the truck yet is that my adapters don't quite fit. They're made for '73 up and the center hole is just barely hitting the hubs on the rear. Only a really small area right near the seat. I got them turned down ever so slightly so the adapter now slide right on. With some new lugs those should be together tomorrow. The front rotors had the same problem with clearance so I ordered rotors for a '77 and mounted them. Not sure if they’re going to work though because the adapter still isn't fitting. Same issue as in the rear as well a clearance problem with my backing plate bolts. Gonna see if I can work it out tomorrow. I might have to get a new set of '71 rotors and have them machined to fit the adapters. Or I'll widen the hole slightly on the adapters so they fit. But I hate to do that to such an expensive adapter. We'll see what tomorrow brings... hopefully pictures of my truck sitting on all four wheels. I'll end with this pic of my front and rear tires side by side. Wish me luck tomorrow!

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 34515
Size:  69.2 KB
UncleMatt is offline   Reply With Quote