View Single Post
Old 05-16-2021, 06:35 PM   #1
NeoJuice

Problem with Neutral Safety Switch Continuity - Help!

Hello,

I put a painless wiring harness in the truck and when I wired it up I also added a painless universal ignition switch #80153.

I ran the #919 purple wire to the starter solenoid as directed in the instructions. I ignored adding in the addition of a neutral safety switch until I found out it wont pass inspection without one.

The truck has a 16" bend Lokar shifter in the truck & I wanted to test the NSS before wiring it up (screwed it back into the hole where it belongs).
I hooked up my multi-meter to check continuity in the switch before doing the wiring.

From my under standing and after speaking with a family member who is an electrician that the switch is a$$ backwards on what it's supposed to be doing.

When I have the multimeter on the bench it reads 1 (open circuit). If I touch the leads together I get 0.3 continuity (closed circuit).

When I hook the leads up to the two prong NSS (doesn't matter what order) in Park and neutral I get a reading of 1 (closed circuit) and in reverse, Drive, Overdrive I get a reading of 0.3 (open circuit). So this means that I can start the truck in gear but not in Park or Neutral which is what it's not supposed to do.

I haven't wired it to the ignition yet but I dont understand why it would be doing this? I was just going to splice the wire leaving the ignition to one of the prongs on the NSS and then from the NSS to the starter solenoid.

Attached picture for reference and any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Images

NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote